1. K-State home
  2. »College of Health and Human Sciences
  3. »Academics
  4. »Departments & Academic Units
  5. »Family & Consumer Sciences Education

Family and Consumer Sciences Education Licensure Programs

The Family and Consumer Sciences Education licensure programs are for students who plan to teach family and consumer sciences at the middle, junior high, senior high, or postsecondary levels. Family and consumer sciences education directly addresses the needs of individuals and families related to nurturing relationships, parenting education, healthy lifestyles and resource management.

Family and consumer sciences education programs focus on parenting education, consumer practices, healthy lifestyle choices, nutrition and food decisions, food science, human relations skills, personal development, textiles and apparel choices, balancing family and work, and general employable skills. These programs emphasize management and problem-solving skills needed to be a responsible and productive individual, family member and worker.

Kansas State University's family and consumer sciences education licensure programs include general education courses, subject matter courses as well as courses in teaching methods, curriculum development and educational psychology.

Degree Programs

Seeking licensure to teach Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS)? There are several routes you can take to become licensed:

  1. Do you have a high school diploma or community college credits and want to become a family and consumer sciences teacher? See the undergraduate program with teacher licensure.
  2. Do you have a bachelor's degree and want to become licensed to teach FCSEd in Kansas? View information on the licensure program in Family and Consumer Science.
  3. Do you have a bachelor's degree and want to get a master's degree with licensure in FCS? Check out the master's degree with licensure program.
  4. Are you a certified FCSEd teacher but want a master's degree? Read about the master's degree program for licensed teachers (pdf).

Teacher Education Application Deadline

  • To pre-enroll for summer or fall professional classes: February 15
  • To pre-enroll for spring professional classes: October 1

Note: Applications are accepted at any time, but the deadlines above must be met for pre-enrollment purposes.

Students are recommended for a Kansas Family and Consumer Sciences Teaching License when they have:

  • Completed all of the family and consumer sciences licensure requirements (doc)
  • Successfully completed the Principles of Learning and Teaching Test
  • Successfully completed the PRAXIS II content assessment test for FCS with a passing score
  • Submitted the application to the K-State College of Education licensing officer in 013 Bluemont Hall one month before graduation from Kansas State University

Additional Information

Wild About FCS

Wild About FCS event logo