1. K-State home
  2. »College of Health and Human Sciences
  3. »Academics
  4. »Departments & Academic Units
  5. »Family & Consumer Sciences Education
  6. »Distance Courses

Requirements for Kansas Family and Consumer Sciences Licensure

Students should have their transcripts reviewed to determine the courses that must be taken to meet Kansas Department of Education requirements for licensure in family and consumer sciences. To determine approximately how many courses/credits you have remaining to receive licensure, complete the licensure checklist and send the checklist and your transcripts to Dr. Janine Duncan for review. After her review, an official letter will be sent indicating the remaining courses.

Students Interested in Obtaining a Degree or Licensure from Kansas State University

Seeking licensure to teach Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS)? There are several routes you can take to become licensed:

  1. Do you have a high school diploma or community college credits and want to become a family and consumer sciences teacher? See the undergraduate program with teacher licensure.
  2. Do you have a bachelor's degree and want to become licensed to teach FCSEd in Kansas? View information on the licensure program in Family and Consumer Sciences.
  3. Do you have a bachelor's degree and want to get a master's degree with licensure in FCS? Check out the master's degree with licensure program.
  4. Are you a certified FCSEd teacher but want a master's degree? Read about the master's degree program for licensed teachers (pdf).

The K-State licensure programs are for students who plan to teach family and consumer sciences at the middle, junior high, senior high, or postsecondary levels. Family and consumer sciences education directly addresses the needs of individuals and families related to nurturing relationships, parenting education, healthy lifestyles and resource management.

K-State's family and consumer sciences education licensure programs include general education courses, subject matter courses as well as courses in teaching methods, curriculum development and educational psychology.

Students completing the programs meet requirements for Kansas licensure in family and consumer sciences education. The K-State licensure programs are accredited by the Kansas State Department of Education, the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.

For more information on becoming licensed to teach FCS in Kansas through the program at Kansas State University, contact Dr. Janine Duncan.