These service learning experiences will take place in the Lake Atitlan area of Guatemala. The primary site is Panajachel, Guatemala but service learning will also take place in the surrounding villages. Panajachel has a low crime rate and is fairly safe (though the usual precautions to keep oneself safe are encouraged). Panajachel is frequented by tourists so locals are used to a diverse populations of visitors.
- 79% of the indigenous population live in poverty
- Guatemala has the 4th highest rate in the world of child malnutrition, particularly in the indigenous population
- 60% of the indigenous population are illiterate
- less than half of children who start school will finish
- almost half the country lacks access to water and sanitation system
Check out this information from one of our partners: Mayan Families
Learn about this beautiful country and their rich history: History of Guatemala
Guatemalan & Mayan culture
The Guatemalan Civil War had a huge impact on the indigenous Mayans and contributed to the significant struggles the Mayan people face on a daily basis.