1. K-State home
  2. »College of Health and Human Sciences
  3. »Kinesiology
  4. »Graduate Programs
  5. »Ph.D. in Public Health Nutrition & Physical Activity

Department of Kinesiology
Kansas State University
Natatorium 8
920 Denison Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-6486 fax

Ph.D. in Human Nutrition with Emphasis in Public Health Physical Activity

A Ph.D. in Public Health Physical Activity is offered in collaboration with the Department of Human Nutrition.

Doctoral degree requirements:

The Ph.D. requires 90 credits, including a minimum of 30 credits for the Ph.D. dissertation. No foreign language is required.

Programs of study are developed according to the interests, backgrounds, and career goals of the students. In addition to graduate human nutrition courses, students often include courses from other departments such as animal sciences and industry; grain science and industry; biochemistry; chemistry; anatomy and physiology; kinesiology; psychology; and biology; from the Colleges of Business Administration and Education; and from interdisciplinary international courses.

Public Health Physical Activity Specialization core (9 hours)HN, KIN and other graduate level courses as suggested by the supervisory committee.
Six credits must come from additional HN course work excluding HN 999.

  • KIN 797 - Topics in Public Health Physical Activity Behavior Credits: (1-4)
  • KIN 805 - Physical Activity and Human Behavior Credits: (3)
  • KIN 830 - Advanced Public Health Physical Activity Credits: (3)


Please contact a faculty member of interest in Kinesiology for application for the Ph.D. program in Human Nutrition with an emphasis in public health physical activity.

Students entering the Human Nutrition graduate program are expected to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. Admission to graduate study at Kansas State University is granted on three bases: full standing, provisional, or probational. Recommendations concerning an applicant's qualifications and admission are made to the dean of the Graduate School by the department. The final decision regarding admission of an applicant is made by the dean of the Graduate School.

Admission in full standing requires a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B average) in the last two years of undergraduate work in an institution whose requirements for the bachelor's degree are equivalent to those of Kansas State University. Applicants with grade point averages below 3.0 will be considered for probational admission provided there is evidence that the applicant has the ability to do satisfactory graduate work. Provisional admission may be granted to applicants who have subject deficiencies in undergraduate preparation or if there is uncertainty in evaluating the transcript. Normally, deficiencies will be made up by enrolling in courses for undergraduate credit. Entering students should have had college algebra, biology, organic chemistry, a junior/senior level course in human nutrition, and other prerequisites for human nutrition courses.

Other admission requirements include a minimum GRE score of 1000 (verbal and quantitative); copies of transcripts; 3 letters of recommendation; application; and statement of objectives. TOEFL scores (>550) are required of all international applicants.

Applications are evaluated by the admissions committee. If the minimum requirements for admission are met applications are reviewed by graduate faculty.

A faculty member must agree to be an applicant's advisor before a recommendation can be made to the Graduate School that the applicant be admitted. The files of all applicants will be considered for institutional or departmental awards and graduate assistantships.


A limited number of 0.4 time teaching (GTA) and research (GRA) assistantships are available. In addition, Nina Browning Fellowships, scholarships and others are awarded to outstanding students in various amounts each year.

GTAs are appointed for nine months and GRAs for 9 or 12 months. Graduate assistants may enroll in 12 credit hours per semester and 6 credit hours per summer session. Applications for admission will be considered for both fall and spring semesters and summer session.

If an applicant is awarded a fellowship, a temporary advisor is assigned until a permanent advisor is chosen by the student during the first semester in residence. Fellowship awardees will be expected to participate in research or teaching during the term of the fellowship.

Funds for graduate students who are not on fellowships are primarily from ongoing research projects. The principal investigator (faculty member responsible) for each project selects graduate research assistants best suited for the specific project.