Pinnacle Honor Society at K-State gains new members
Monday, June 7, 2010
Kansas State University's chapter of the Pinnacle Honor Society inducted more than 65 nontraditional students at the K-State Division of Continuing Education Honors and Awards Reception May 5.
To be eligible to join K-State's chapter of Pinnacle, students must have achieved a GPA of 3.0 or higher, be of junior standing and have demonstrated leadership, persistence and future promise.
Thirteen inductees attended the on-campus induction ceremony, including Thomas Reust, senior in mass communications, and Elizabeth Wilson, senior in secondary education, both from Manhattan. Reust and Wilson currently serve as student ambassadors for K-State's office of nontraditional and veteran student services and are part of the University Honors Program.
"I feel honored to be inducted into the Pinnacle Honor Society," Wilson said. "The ceremony was beautiful, and it was nice to share that moment with fellow nontraditional students."
At the induction ceremony, students received certificates of membership presented by Suzanne Lueker, director of nontraditional and veteran student services, and April Mason, K-State provost and senior vice president, who shared her experiences of having a mother who was a nontraditional student.
"I really appreciate that nontraditional students are being recognized by K-State," Reust said. "It shows that we're considered to be a part of the K-State family and that what we do matters."
Along with Reust and Wilson, this year's Pinnacle inductees in the College of Human Ecology include:
- Dustie Samuels, senior in pre-medicine and nutritional sciences, Council Grove, Kansas
- Rebecca Strong, junior in human ecology, Fort Riley
- Juan Carlos Mendoza, senior in hotel and restaurant management, Garden City, Kansas
- Rebecca Dockum, senior in family studies and human services, McPherson, Kansas
- Joanne Hering, senior in dietetics, Overland Park, Kansas
- LaDonna Dean, senior in dietetics, Anchorage, Alaska
- Karen Gensmer, senior in dietetics, Hutchinson, Minnesota
- Sarah Reade, senior in dietetics, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Vanessa Tanderup, senior in dietetics, Fremont, Nebraska
- Lanita McGee, senior in dietetics, Fairfield, Ohio
- Danielle Tompkins, senior in dietetics, Mentor, Ohio
- Rachel Flaksman, May 2010 bachelor's graduate in dietetics, Warwick, Rhode Island
- Kelly Merritt, senior in dietetics, Leesburg, Virginia
Prepared by Communications and Marketing