Careers in Aging
Do you enjoy older people, want a rewarding career in a field that needs people who want to improve other people’s lives, or plan to enter the health care, social service, or legal professions? We live in an aging society, one in which the older population is growing both in absolute numbers and in proportion to all other age groups. Businesses, government agencies, service organizations, educational institutions and self-employed professionals from every economic sector are recognizing the need for specialized knowledge and skills to meet the needs of this changing demography.
People who are interested in this diverse field come from many disciplines, professions and clinical areas, such as social work, nursing, counseling, recreation, public policy, long-term care administration, medicine, architecture, psychology, adult education and rehabilitation therapy. Some people work directly with older persons in a wide variety of programs and services in the community. Others work on behalf of older persons in areas such as advocacy and teaching about aging. Gerontology offers challenging and rewarding careers in an area that is growing rapidly, that needs people with a broad range of skills, and that will improve people's lives. Learn more about careers in aging by visiting the following resources or contact the Center on Aging to see if a career in the gerontology field is right for you.
- Leading Age Career Center
- American Health Care Association - Long Term Care Career Center
- Careers in Aging Week (CIAW) Association for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE)
- Exploring Careers in Aging (American Psychological Association)
- Geriatric Social Work Initiative
- Kansas Adult Care Executives Job Site
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging - Jobs in Aging
- National Council on Aging - Careers
- National PACE Association (Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
- Senior housing jobs
- Student Training & Education in Public Service: Careers Working with the Elderly
- USAJOBS - Federal Government
- US Dept. of Health and Human Services - Careers
- ZipRecruiter -- Gerontology jobs and What are Careers in Gerontology?