Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship
Endowed Human Ecology Faculty Fellow
119C Justin Hall
- Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Science, Ohio State University
- M.S. in Human Development and Family Science, Ohio State University
- B.A. in Psychology, Ohio Dominican College
Area(s) of Specialization
- Healthy Adolescent Relationships
- Relationship Education
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Adolescent Parents' Co-Parenting Relationships
Research, Scholarship and Creative Endeavors
Dr. Toews' program of research focuses on healthy relationships, with particular interest in relationship education and violence prevention programming with adolescents. Dr. Toews and her colleagues recently received a three year grant to modify, implement, and evaluate a relationship education program for 7th and 9th graders in Junction City. In addition, Dr. Toews has co-directed a relationship education program for pregnant and parenting adolescents in Central Texas for over 10 years and has funding to continue that program through 2020. Please contact Dr. Toews if you are interested in becoming part of her Healthy Adolescent Relationships Research Team (HARRT).
Michelle Toews is the Associate Dean of Research and Scholarship in the College of Human Ecology at Kansas State University. She received her Ph.D. in Human Development and Family Science from The Ohio State University. Her main research interests include healthy adolescent relationships, relationship education, dating violence, violence prevention, and adolescent parents' co-parenting relationships. She has published and presented numerous papers in these areas. In addition, Dr. Toews has received over $11 million from the Administration for Children and Families to develop, implement, and evaluate relationship education programs for vulnerable youth. Prior to joining K-State, she taught numerous undergraduate and graduate courses, including family relationships, family diversity, cultural diversity, working with families under stress, sexuality across the lifespan, family life education, and research methods to name a few.
Outside of work, Michelle enjoys spending time with her family, traveling, and hiking. She is excited to be part of the K-State family because of their focus on students. She hopes she can continue to work with students and encourage both undergraduate and graduate students to become involved in research.
Most Recent Publications
- Reflecting on international educative experiences: Developing cultural competence in preservice early childhood educators (Journal Article), in Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education (2018).
- The impact of participation in creative drama on empathy levels in emerging adulthood: A pilot study (Journal Article), in Drama Therapy Review (2016).
- Toddler activity intensity during indoor free-play: stand and watch (Journal Article), in Journal of nutrition education and behavior (2015).
- Children’s Responses to A Social Story Song in Three Inclusive Preschool Classrooms: A Pilot Study (Journal Article), in Music Therapy Perspectives (2014).
- Chinese Kindergarten Teachers’ Perceived Changes in Their Teaching Philosophies and Practices: A Case Study in a University-Affiliated Program (Journal Article), in International Journal of Early Childhood (2014).
- Index to Volume 32 (2014) (Journal Article), in aging (2014).
- The Books-in-a-Bag Project Developing a Literacy Initiative for Children With Disabilities in Tanzania (Journal Article), in Intervention in School and Clinic (2014).
- Effectiveness Of HOP’N Home Childcare Program Delivery Methods: Parent And Child Television Practices (Conference Proceeding), in (2013).
- Identification and validity of accelerometer cut-points for toddlers (Journal Article), in Obesity: A Research Journal (2012).
- Identification of accelerometer cut-points for toddlers (Conference Proceeding), in (2010).
See the Vita for a complete list of publications.
Most Recent Presentations
- Parental involvement, peer relationships, and adult mentor's impact on adolescent's character development, at the (2010).
- The impact of Parental Involvement, Peer Relationships, and Adult Mentors on the Character Development of Adolescents, at the Promoting Character Development among Diverse Children and Adolescence: The Role of Family, Schools and Out-of-School-Time Youth Development Programs (2010).
- Early Care and Education - Education Abroad Study Tour 2018, at the quarterly meeting (2010).
- Finding Common Ground in Higher Education, at the Annual Meeting (2010).
- Appropriate Practices Surrounding Eating with Young Children, at the (2010).
- Making an Impact: Mentoring in the College of Human Ecology, at the joint conference of Board on Human Sciences and Council of Administrators of Famly and Consumer Sciences (2010).
- Hungary meets Kansas: An internatinal case study in teacher education, at the OMEP North American and Carribean Regional Conference (2010).
- Preschool daily patterns of physical activity driven by location and social context, at the American Public Health Association (2010).
- The Hungarian-American collaboration: Learning about ourselves from one another, at the Annual Meeting (2010).
- Viability of online professional development for early educators: initial study, at the European Regional Conference (2010).
See the Vita for a complete list of presentations.
Most Recent Awards
- Women of Distinction , Kansas State University (2015)
- HERS Summer Institute, HERS (2015)
See the Vita for a complete list of awards and honors.
Most Recent Grants
- Early Childhood Workforce Development Grant; Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities, Inc (2016)
- KCCTO - Statewide Infant - Toddler Specialist Network; Kansas Department for Children and Families (2016)
- Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities; Kansas Child Care Training Opportunities, Inc (2014)
- Playing naturally: an exploratory study of the impact of a specially selected outdoor play space on arousal, attention and task completion of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders; Kansas State University (2013)
- Kansas Child Care and Youth Training and Technical Assistance Project - State (Extension) Coordinators; US Department of Agriculture (2012)
- Kansas Child Care and Youth Training and Technical Assistance Project - State (Extension) Coordinators; US Department of Agriculture (2011)
- Design and Evaluation of a Child’s Apparel Product to House Movement and Sound Receptors for Measurement of Language and Physical Activity; Kansas State University (2005)