1. K-State home
  2. »College of Health and Human Sciences
  3. »Family Center
  4. »Client Resources
  5. »Client FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is Couple and Family Therapy?


Couple and Family Therapists (CFTs) are mental health practitioners. At Kansas State University, CFTs are trained in a variety of theories in order to customize help for families, couples, and individuals.

CFTs believe that family, couple, and even individual problems are best treated in the context of the system. CFTs treat problems by changing the way the system works rather than trying to "fix" a specific member. This makes for effective and long lasting change.

Marriage and Family Therapists belong to the organization American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists. For more information on CFT, visit the AAMFT website.

Why should I receive therapy at a training center?


Therapy interns have the benefit of multiple perspectives and feedback from experienced supervisors and other more experienced students.

Intern therapists often have a treatment team providing input on cases to insure the best quality treatment possible.

Because of the academic setting, therapists at the K-State Family Center are trained in evidenced based practice and are up to date on the latest research in the field of Family Therapy.

The Family Center is also able to provide quality therapy for a much lower cost than other non-training therapy centers.

How do I know if I need therapy?


If you are unsatisfied with any area of your life or relationships, therapy can be beneficial for you.

If you would like to try therapy, you should schedule a session to explore your options.

Will therapy really help my marriage or relationship?


Therapy is not guaranteed to be successful in treating all problems or healing all relationships. However, it has helped restore numerous couples’ relationships and relieved many problems. Success of therapy also depends on the individual’s/couple’s efforts and commitment to change.

Do I have to be a K-State student or employee to come?


The Family Center is open to the general public as well as K-State students and employees.

What if my partner will not attend therapy with me?


Sometimes individuals seek therapy for couple problems but their partner is unwilling to attend. In these cases, one partner is welcome to attend therapy alone for relationship "coaching." Therapists can work with the individual on how to cope with relationship distress, help them develop skills to better handle relationship conflict, and help them navigate difficult decisions (among other things). However, treatment for couple problems tends to be less effective with only one partner present.

Is childcare provided?


Unfortunately, child care is not provided.

How can I learn more?


Call the K-State Family Center at 785-532-6984. Our office staff will be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.