The nutritional sciences program emphasizes biology and chemistry to understand the function and metabolism of nutrients. The program provides a unique insight into the human body and is an excellent preparatory program for students who are interested in pursuing medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, nursing, or physical therapy.
This rigorous, science-based program fulfills most of the basic requirements for these professional programs and is also an excellent background for graduate study in biological or nutritional sciences.
- World-renowned faculty
- CAT Community availability
- Dedicated student organizations for specific health professions
- Select professional courses available online
89% (39/44) of graduates who applied for medical school were accepted (2012-2020 data)
100% (11/11) of graduates who applied to dental school were accepted (2012-2020 data)
Reasons why students choose nutritional sciences as the pre-med, pre-dental, or other medically related field preparatory degree:
- Its reputation, rigor and track record of success of graduates
- Focus on people (humans)
- Apply basic sciences, like biology and chemistry, toward eating and food, something we all do everyday
- Gain nutrition expertise that they will not get in professional school, which can be used as a healthcare practitioner or in a biomedical career
- Smaller sized program and more unique degree compared to more common pre-medical and pre-dental degrees; feel they standout in medical and dentistry school applications and interviews
- Believe it is a more valuable degree, compared to more common pre-medical, pre-dental degrees, if they end up needing to pursue alternative options than their desired path. Can pursue dietetics, food industry, and/or health and wellness industry occupations.
- Physician Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Public Health Professional
*some careers require additional education
Undergraduate Catalog Degree Requirements