1. K-State home
  2. »College of Health and Human Sciences
  3. »Students
  4. »Student Services
  5. »Academic Advising

College of Health
and Human Sciences

Kansas State University
119 Justin Hall
1324 Lovers Lane
Manhattan, KS 66506-1401

785-532-5504 fax

Academic Advising

Welcome to the College of Health and Human Sciences' academic advising webpage. Our goal is to provide each student, advisor and faculty member with the tools necessary to assist students in establishing their academic and career goals and to guide them through the courses and activities required to meet those goals. This website is designed to provide you with easy access to a wealth of information you will need as you travel through the process.


KSIS stands for K-State Student Information System. The program allows you to access many types of academic, financial and demographic information about yourself. It is the way you enroll, pay your bills, find out your advisors name and contact, find out your academic standing, if you have holds, etc.

If you are not sure how to do something or where to find something in KSIS, be sure to check out the frequently asked questions and how-to sections under KSIS Help.

Credit by Exam

Kansas State University accepts advanced credit from the following sources: Advanced Placement (AP), Credit by Exam: College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), International Baccalaureate (IB), and military credit evaluation.


DARS stands for Degree Audit Reporting System. DARS is a advising tool that advisors and students may use for course planning during enrollment and to check degree completion requirements for graduation. The report provides information on K-State and transfer credits. It tracks completed courses, remaining courses, college, K-State and Kansas Board of Regents requirements as well as program admission/completion requirements and provides.

Computer Requirements

K-State offers technology buying recommendations to help guide you in your purchasing decisions. To find out if your academic program has specific computer and software requirements, visit your departmental office or website. The university provides support for both PC and Apple computers through the K-State IT Help Desk.

Transfer Equivalency

K-State has established a transfer equivalency website to help students and advisors understand the transferability of courses and the policies of Kansas State University. This tool is to be used as a guide. The transferability of courses and how they are applied to specific majors can change without notice.

What Counts for What

Some programs in the College of Health and Human Sciences (HHS) allow you to choose elective courses in one or more areas included in "General Requirements," e.g., in humanities or natural and physical sciences. Here is a reference list (pdf) to help you identify possible courses to meet those elective requirements. Consult your adviser before enrolling.

K-State Courses

Explore the schedule of courses by term, college and department before your advising appointment and when looking to change or add to your current field of study. K-State offers over 250 majors, secondary majors, minors and certificates in more than 100 fields. The course schedule can help you find a major, search for classes, discover information on the K-State 8, and look into credit and non-credit classes available through distance education.

Course Catalog

The K-State Course Catalog is a reference for academic policies, procedures and programs. Students are responsible for this information. Contact your advisor or the Dean's Office Student Services staff if you have questions concerning any of the information contained within the catalog.

Special Academic Policies

Attendance Policy

An instructor may drop a student from any or all components (e.g., lecture, recitation, lab, etc.) of a course if the student is absent at the beginning of the first class period of any component of the course. Students who cannot be in attendance should arrange prior consent from the instructor in order not be dropped.

Academic Warning and Dismissal

A student is placed on academic warning if their regular semester (excluding summer) or cumulative GPA is less than a 2.000. Students are automatically taken off academic warning when the K-State cumulative GPA reaches the required 2.000 level in the Spring and Fall end-of-term posting. K-State does not factor in transfer credit grades into its GPA calculations. Your GPA is based solely on your K-State letter grades (i.e., A, B, C, D, F).

Add/Drop Courses

If a student wants to drop or add a course or if an instructor recommends a change, the student should confer with an advisor. Each official term at K-State has specific deadlines for dropping and adding courses. This information is found on the course schedule site for each term.

Reinstatement Policy

Normally a student must wait at least two terms before being considered for reinstatement.

A dismissed student will be readmitted only when approved for reinstatement by the Academic Standards Committee of the college the student is attempting to enter; the application for reinstatement must be directed to the Academic Standards Committee.

Students who earn a term grade point average of at least 2.00 but less than 2.20 on 12 or more credits during the term they are dismissed can be considered for immediate reinstatement. Each College at K-State handles reinstatements differently. The College of Health and Human Sciences requires student who have been dismissed after attending for more than one semester to sit out for one full calendar year.

See the college's policy and process for reinstatement

Withdrawal from Kansas State University

A student who withdraws from the university must complete a notice of withdrawal form; contact the appropriate dean's office.

If a student withdraws during the first 36 calendar days of a 70 or more calendar day course (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), no mark will be recorded on the student's transcript. Thereafter, a mark of "W" is recorded; a course less than 70 calendar days (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), is prorated. The deadline for withdrawing is the end of the 68th calendar day of the term; for a course less than 70 calendar days (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), the withdrawal date is prorated.

When a student withdraws from the university, student privileges, such as use of the Recreation Complex, stop.

If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from the university for verifiable nonacademic reasons after the 68th calendar day, he or she should consult the appropriate dean's office.

Refund Policy and Dates

Please note that regular full term courses and short courses have different dates for refunds.

To view refund and drop dates for your courses go to the KSIS help page for a step-by-step tutorial. If after viewing the steps, you are unsure, please contact your advisor, the dean's office, or the university's Enrollment Services staff (118 Anderson Hall).

University and Board of Regents Degree Requirements

Each program within the College of Health and Human Sciences has its own set of degree requirements. Encompassed within the program degree requirements are the separate requirements prescribed by the college, university and board of regents. This information is located in the K-State Undergraduate Catalog, and on each student's curriculum guide. If unsure of the requirements, please contact your advisor or the dean's office.