Guatemala International Experience
The Department of Food, Nutrition, Dietetics and Health is excited to offer an extraordinary education abroad program for our students who desire to have a life transforming experience! The focus is on service-learning to help the indigenous Mayan people improve their quality of life.
Working and studying abroad makes you an active and engaged part of a global community. This experience can enhance your job prospects, make you competitive in an international economy, give you a broader outlook, and inspire personal and professional growth. You will have opportunity to acquire and cultivate skills and make a positive difference in the lives of the indigenous Mayans.
Service Learning Opportunities:
- Teach nutrition lessons, all ages
- Tend community gardens and teach cooking classes
- Work in medical clinics
- Assist local Mayan physician
- Conduct community health assessments
- Develop physical activity programs
- Disease prevention programs
- Tutor in reading, English, computers, & business skills
- Research opportunities
- Data collection for health initiatives
Those interested in the Guatemala Experience should contact their advisor or Linda Yarrow, program coordinator.