Laptop Requirements for Fashion Studies
2022-2023 Academic Year
Fashion Studies students entering their first year of study are required to have their own laptop computer that meets or exceeds required minimum specifications.
Where should I buy my laptop?
These specifications can be met through a variety of manufacturers. Students may purchase their equipment from any source they choose.
Dell Computer has a discount pricing agreement with Kansas State University. The Fashion Studies Program has made arrangements with Dell to set up bundles that meet the minimum requirements. These hardware bundles can be purchased at the K-State Student Union Computer Store. The store also has discounted pricing on required academic-licensed software programs that will be required in coursework.
PC versus Mac
FASH students will learn a variety of software programs. Most FASH faculty teach the software programs from the Microsoft Windows platform.
Some of the required software for fashion design students is only available for the Microsoft Windows operating system. While some of the programs are available in dual-platform versions (Microsoft Windows and Apple OS), the software may not be organized or set-up in the same way for both operating systems and instructors do not have time to troubleshoot cross-platform problems. It is strongly recommended that Fashion Design students purchase a PC-based laptop running Microsoft Windows. This will reduce the cost of purchasing dual-booting programs for Apple laptops.
Should a fashion design student decide to purchase an Apple laptop, Apple's Bootcamp for dual-booting the computer MUST be installed. The hard drive should be partitioned with at least 50% dedicated for the PC. Windows 10 Home (64-bit) should be installed as an operating system. VMware Fusion or Parallels are not recommended substitutes to Bootcamp and partitioning the hard drive.
The Department of Interior Design and Fashion Studies does not address software/hardware compatibility issues on any platform. If a student has issues with an Apple laptop, he or she will be responsible for locating outside technological support.
Can I use an iPad, Tablet, MacBook Air, or Chrome Book?
Tablets can be a helpful ADDITION to your computer setup but due to the interactive nature of our classes, and to achieve a proper level of communication and feedback we require computers.
Chromebooks are NOT a good choice because they have difficulty running Zoom for online class participation.
MacBook Airs are NOT a good choice because they lack the necessary processing capacity.
iPads and other such tablets are NOT a good choice because you cannot run the same Adobe programs as traditional operating systems.
Technical support for all computer questions is available at Kansas State University's Information Technology Assistance Center (ITAC). There are numerous local retail outlets and private technical support services that can assist students as well.
Students will be responsible for resolving their own laptop technical issues. Therefore, an extended warranty or service agreement is recommended. Project deadlines will not be extended due to faulty equipment, slow processing, or other computer failures.
K-State's recommendations for buying a new laptop apply with the following exceptions:
K-State antivirus software installed (not necessary to buy)
- Mac: MUST install Apple’s BOOTCAMP for using dual booting system and installed Windows 10 Home Edition as an operation system (no fusion and parallels)
- OS: Windows 10 Home Edition (64Bit) or better
- OS: MacOS 11 or later
- CPU: Intel ® Core i7 with 4 cores or more
- RAM: 16 GB memory minimum
- 1TB, 7200 rpm hard drive or better
- Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 or better; or Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 or better
- Wireless (dual band) and wired network support
- 14-inch or larger built-in display
- 3-year manufacturer warranty recommended
Inquire at the K-State Student Union Computer Store
All FASH students
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus is free for all current students with up to 5 installs.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: (Windows + Mac) - $239.00 annual or $19.99 / Month subscription. Do not purchase until instructed to do so by a professor.
- Additional software may be required for certain courses.
FD students (4th year in the program)
- Optitex 2D and 3D: Approx. $204.00
- Mac users: Apple's Bootcamp for dual-booting, but required Windows license will be approximately $150.00
- External mouse with 2 buttons (optical mouse encouraged)
- Minimum 2TB external hard drive for file backup (prices may vary)
Free Download Available Online
- CatPack software collection - A software collection designed for K-State.
K-State Network Prerequisites and Antivirus Software
To use the campus wireless or wired network, security programs must be installed and procedures followed.
Students are required to protect their laptops by installing antivirus software. The software is required for all computers that access the K-State network. The software is available for free to K-State students on the Information Technology Services website.